Not much in the way of available imagery here (as supplied by Shimano), but a little bird from Irvine, CA. flew up to our window sill the other day an told us that we could post the following new product info today. The bird also chirped that there might be new Shimano product unveiled at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show this weekend so stay tuned...or better yet, head to Sacto to see it all for yourself!
Key tech points disclosed would be the satellite "top mount" shifters for Ultegra D12, plus a wider gear range for non Di2 Ultegra. While most performance oriented road riders may not think much about about (if at all) Shimano's internal gear drivetrains, the fact that the new Alfine system has an internal battery option may very bode well for both the Dura Ace and Ultegra drivetrains to finally move to a "hidden" battery design that was pioneered by Craig Calfee and Colnago.
New Alfine Di2 Internal Electronic Shifting
*Available Fall 2012
Shimano Di2 makes its debut for internal gearing systems with the new Alfine Di2 electronic shifting system that delivers a new level of precision shifting and clean aesthetics. The new Alfine Di2 system showcases the new generation of Di2 technology including Shimano’s E-tube Di2 wiring and electronics in addition to a new internal battery option.
• E-tube wiring and electronics – Alfine Di2 continues to utilize new generation E-tube wiring and electronics that are the new electronic standard for Di2. Internal and external routing is available with the new Alfine Di2 system.
• New Di2 information display – Alfine Di2 will for the first time feature a handlebar mounted information display showcasing battery power levels and gear selection. The new SC-S705 display provides basic information not often found on bicycles in this category.
Shimano's 2011 Alfine internal 11 speed geared hub and disc brake combo.
• Multiple gearing and shifter options – Alfine Di2 will be available in 8 and 11-speed internal hub offerings. Two shifter options will be available for flat handlebar and a dual control lever for traditional road drop handlebars – a first for a Shimano internal hub system.
• Multiple power source options – Alfine Di2 can be powered by external or internal batteries. Alfine Di2 offers a cleaner presentation with the new SM-BTR2 internal seat post mounted battery
that is compatible with E-tube Di2 electronics.
• Disc brake compatible – Alfine Di2 dual control road drop handlebar shift and brake levers
will offer compatibility with mechanical disc brake systems as well as standard road calipers. Various brake levers can be used with the flat handlebar SW-S705 shifter including Alfine hydraulic disc brakes.
Ultegra 6770 Di2 additions
*Available June 2012
The satellite shifters first saw use with the sprinters in the ProTour and will soon come to Ultegra.
Utilizing Shimano’s new E-tube wiring and electronics in the Ultegra 6770 component group, Ultegra Di2 now receives the satellite shifter
New wide range road drivetrains
Performance and recreational road drive trains will see the trend of wider range gear ratios accommodated by new rear derailleurs.
• Ultegra 6700 – now includes short and mid cage rear derailleur options that accommodate 30T cassettes and in addition, a new 12-30T Ultegra cassette will now be added.
NEW PRODUCT INFORMATION
• Shimano 105 – now includes 10-speed rear derailleurs supporting 30T compatibility (short cage) and 32T cassettes (mid cage).
• Tiagra - now includes 10-speed rear derailleurs supporting 30T compatibility (short cage) and 32T cassettes (mid cage).
New Road and Cyclocross Disc Brakes
*Available Summer 2012
Shimano will offer two performance oriented mechanical disc brake systems for road and cyclocross in 2013. Both of these new BR-CX75 and BR-R515 systems offer a 20% lower profile and a 30% performance increase over previous generation mechanical disc systems. Additionally, new road compact V-Brake options will be introduced.
• BR-CX75 cyclocross disc brakes
– The new BR-CX75 disc brake caliper adds a new level of braking performance to Shimano’s new cyclocross CX50 and CX70 component lines. The new caliper is designed for use with all road Super SLR Shift and brake levers and is ideally paired with the RT81 mountain bike disc brake rotor.
• BR-R515 mechanical road disc brakes – The new BR-R515 mechanical disc brakes deliver Tiagra level braking performance for road use. Best paired with the RT64 disc rotor, the brakes are available in silver or black.
New Affordable Road Wheel Sets Enhance Ride Quality
Two new RS series wheel sets will be introduced that bring great performing, reliable Shimano wheel technology to consumers at affordable prices. Both wheel sets are 10 and 11-speed compatible and feature new off-set rims with extra wide flanges.
• WH-RS61 – new wheels are Shimano’s most affordable Road Tubeless
wheels to date and open up the technology and rider benefits to more consumers.
• WH-RS21 – new wheels are the most affordable new RS series wheels intended as affordable aftermarket 11-speed compatible upgrade or replacement wheel option.
Recreational and Casual Road Component Introductions
New Sora Components for Sport and Fitness Road Riding. The new 9-speed Sora 3500 components provide smooth, stress-free performance for a variety of road riders. The varied drive train and braking options are compatible with a wide variety of bicycles and riders in a new stylish Mica black color.
• Confident, smooth light action shifting – New Tiagra style Shimano STI drop handlebar shifters include a gear indicator. New flat handlebar SL-3500 Sora shifters include 2x9 and 3x9 options and offer 2-Way release, Rapidfire Plus and OGD technology.
• Wide gear ranges add versatility – The Sora rear derailleur is available in short and mid cage versions that accommodate up to a 32T rear cog. Flat handlebar and cyclocross Sora options include a dedicated compact crank set available with a 50-34T and 46-34T chainring combination as well as a triple 50-39-30T.
New PD-R540 Pedal for Recreational Riders
The new PD-R540-LA is an improved and even more ideal first clipless pedal system for recreational and entry-level road riders thanks to a new lighter action spring that improves ease of entry and exit. The pedal is now available in black and white color options.